This project involves the revitalisation and expansion of public open space at Carlson Reserve in Clayton to enhance family social recreation opportunities. This will be a staged project.
Project benefits to the Clayton community
The project will deliver the following benefits for the Clayton community:
- Additional open space for passive recreation
- New playspace with recreation infrastructure
- New fitness equipment
- General reserve improvements to visual amenity, accessibility, connectivity and safety
- New recreational and social infrastructure, spaces, surfaces and pathways throughout the reserve to support recreational users especially families e.g. informal recreation, shade/shelters, picnic area and water feature etc.
- Retaining and uplifting the existing shade sail
- New and improved free public multi-sport hard courts with LED sports lighting for community use which can be used for tennis, futsal, basketball, and more
- A modern, modular pavilion which
will include four change rooms, umpire's room, social space including kitchen
STAGE 1: PLAYGROUND
Stage one was the construction of a Neighbourhood Standard playground in 2021-22 at Carlson Reserve, Clayton.
Estimated cost: $450,000.
STAGE 2: FORECOURT
Stage two was the revitalisation of the land freed up by the demolition of the old scout hall as a landscaped forecourt, providing additional family social recreation opportunities.
Estimated cost: $300,000.
STAGE 3: MULTI SPORT COURTS
Stage three is to upgrade the existing two public tennis courts to multi-purpose courts and associated sports lighting which is approaching the end of its useful life.
Estimated cost: $780,000.
STAGE 4: PAVILION UPGRADE
Stage four is the demolition of the current pavilion and construction of a modern, modular pavilion designed in consultation with the tenant clubs.
The pavilion upgrade is scheduled to commence in April 2024, with completion anticipated by September 2024.
Estimated cost: $2,800,000.