Following community consultation on smoke free areas in Eaton Mall and Kingsway during June to July 2021, Council determined that these areas will be designated smoke-free effective 19 October 2021. Read the report to Council and decision here.
The report with results of community consultation is in the document library on this page.
After consulting with the community in February and March 2021, Council adopted the Smoke Free Areas Local Law on 25 May, 2021.
In line with the new local law, Council proposes to prescribe the footpaths in Eaton Mall and Kingsway as Smoke Free Areas. This also includes the Monash Civic Centre and Glen Waverley Library precinct.
This would mean no smoking would be allowed in identified areas.
The local law requires that before prescribing such areas it must have regard for the following factors:
- the size of the proposed Smoke Free Area
- the proximity of the proposed Smoke Free Area to a public place, part or all of which is not in a Smoke Free Area
- the views of any person who is the owner or occupier of any part of the proposed Smoke Free Area
- the extent and outcome of any community engagement on the proposal to prescribe the Smoke Free Area
- any benefits to the community which would be achieved by Council prescribing the proposed Smoke Free Area
- any detriment to the community which would be caused by Council prescribing the proposed Smoke Free Area.
How to provide your feedback
Registration with the Shape Monash engagement platform is a requirement of this consultation.
Click on a proposed smoke free area below to take the survey and view the maps of the proposed areas.
Feedback closed on 23 July 2021